Wednesday 17 November 2010

Quotations and Thoughts...

We do not remember days; we remember moments.


Pictures and shapes are but secondary objects and please or displease only in the memory. (Sir Francis Bacon)


We both know what memories can bring / They bring diamonds and rust. (Joan Baez)


When you have made a good painting, don't do another like it, but remember the process, what you did, what you were thinking and feeling. (Darby Bannard)


By the time I was sixteen, I'd come to realize that the purpose of my life as an artist was to re-member what I had, by the age of five, dis-membered. And from that point on, never forget. (Che Baraka)


Memory is the greatest of artists, and effaces from your mind what is unnecessary. (Maurice Baring).


There are moments when I can wander through my childhood's landscape, through rooms long ago, remember how they were furnished, where the pictures hung on the walls, the way the light fell. It's like a film - little scraps of a film, which I set running and which I can reconstruct to the last detail - except their smell. (Ingmar Bergman)


My landscapes are non-specific, evoking a mood rather than a particular place, so that viewers are reminded of their own memories, dreams and nostalgia for locations. (Victoria Block).


Perhaps I am doomed to retrace my steps under the illusion that I am exploring, doomed to try and learn what I should simply recognize, learning a mere fraction of what I have forgotten. (Andre Breton).


Some memories are realities, and are better than anything that can ever happen to one again. (Willa Cather).


It is very well to copy what one sees; it's much better to draw what one has retained in one's memory. It is a transformation in which imagination collaborates with memory. (Edgar Degas).


I go to work as others rush to see their mistresses, and when I leave, I take back with me to my solitude, or in the midst of the distractions that I pursue, a charming memory that does not in the least resemble the troubled pleasure of lovers. (Eugene Delacroix).


There's a lot of landscape I never would have described if I hadn't been homesick. The impulse was nostalgia. (Joan Didion).


These quotations have helped to focus on what memory means to us... How do we convey the memory to the viewer, or indeed do we need to, as it is my memory; a memory which I am sharing, is that enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment